2/15/2017 - OKC, OK -- Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel (D) has announced he will retire March 1, after serving as sheriff for 20-years.
Gov. Mary Fallin has ordered that a special election will be held in order to fill the vacancy.
Whetsel recently won reelection prior to announcing his retirement.
The filing period for individuals wishing to fill the sheriff vacancy is Feb. 27 and 28 and March 1.
The special general election is set for Sept. 12.
If a special primary election is required, it will be held April 4.
So far the following individuals have announced plan to run for the position;
- P.D. Taylor (R) - Current undersheriff.
- Mike Christian (R) - Former State Rep.
- Darrel Sorrels (R) - Former sheriff's supervisor.
- Virgil Green (D) - Former Boley and Spencer police chief.
- Mike Hanson (D) - Oklahoma County sheriff's deputy.
- Ed Grimes (I) - Former OKC police officer and former Canadian County undersheriff.